Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Promises and 15 years



In my last post, I listed three goals for this week.  I thought they were ambitious but not out of reach.  That’s what I get for thinking.  Except for maybe the water intake, I am not meeting my goals.  I’m still mostly sedentary and have not come close to the 2500 steps per day for most of this week.  While I am eating less, I’m not sure that each day so far has been less than 1800 calories.  Eating less than I have been is still an improvement, at least in my book. 

Some of you suggested that perhaps I work on one change at a time.  That is sounding like a great idea.  Instead of goals for the week though, I will start with making one promise to myself.  If I make a promise to others, I keep it.  When I make promises to myself on the other hand, I seem to give myself too much leeway and end up breaking them.  Giving myself some credit, I would say that the promises I’ve made to myself in the past were a bit lofty and most likely out of my reach.    I need to make one promise, one that I can meet, and then keep it.  Then, I will make another promise and keep it and so forth.  My first promise has to be attainable so that I will be sure to keep it.  I’ve got one.   

Today, I promise (to myself) that I will walk at least 2500 steps before I hit the sack tonight.  I haven’t made 2500 steps/day all week, but I will make it happen today.  No.matter.what.

Speaking of promises, I made a vow to be with my husband all the days of our lives, fifteen years ago today.  The best decision I've ever made.  We’ve each gained 100 lbs since this photo.  It’s way past time to start doing something about it, but I will anyway.


How's your week going?  Happy Thursday!

18 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! :) And small steps are sometimes the only way we can move forward, even when we wish we could run several at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra. I'm always thinking of the big picture. I need to concentrate on the smalls steps and work them one at a time.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    And I like your thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen. Thinking about raising my arm today and telling the chocolate to go elsewhere.

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Great plan with the 2500 steps. You got this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half way there, so I need to get with it. Doable and it will be done. Thanks Sunny.

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary to the both of you.

    Amazing how the time just flies by.

    Maybe you can definitely achieve your goal for today by taking a lovely walk together as you hold hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, it does not feel like 15 years at all. Raining in Seattle today, so maybe the holding hands, but no walk outdoors for me today. Thanks Anna Marie.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary!! It totally makes sense to take one thing at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Linda, always nice to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! Whenever my wife and I are in Seattle we always make a trip to the Westlake Center. You would definitely get your 2500 steps in there in no time:) Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Such a gorgeous photo!

    Good for you for getting one goal (water) out of the way. Fwiw, that's one that still makes my to-do list regularly. In fact, it's about time to work on that again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! Good looking couple!

    I can honestly say that it took me from 2007 to 2012 to entirely figure out how to get my weight in good control. I chipped away at it year by year. I progressed in stages. I had my size 16 years, then my size 14 years, then my size 12 year, and now my even smaller sizes. But--it took years of straightening my mind out. For us people, like me, who had terrible eating/health habits, those bad habits are what we think of as "normal." That's what our mind says is correct. It take a LOT of mental work to override a default computer system.

    I guess you just keep trying with a positive attitude and keep building new good habits, like you explain. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

    Glad to hear that you're taking a step in the right direction. (pun intended..hehe)

    It really does one little step at a time to make big changes happen. I'm rooting for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary!!! Small attainable goals!!! One pound at a time!! One step at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!!

    I agree, that if I say I am going to do A, B & C, and then don't do B, I throw everything in the towel. I've failed myself so why bother with A & C!

    But this June I told myself you just have to do Insanity every day. No excuses. And somehow everything just followed after that - drinking more water, watching what I eat, ditching the wine.

    Hope you have an awesome week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Set a goal and keep to it. You know it makes good sense.

    Happy Anniversary and here's to that goal and your steps...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you both had a wonderful anniversary! 15 years is fantastic!! Congratulations♥

    ReplyDelete