Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Next time I will use the thermometer



Having gained weight in the first half of the year and feeling more sluggish and more pain all over, I need to make changes and start dropping some weight.  One of the biggest changes that I can make to aid me in losing weight, is to stop eating fast food or dining out on cheesy gooey Mexican food.  My goal for this week is simple.  75% of the meals I eat this week need to be prepared by me at home.  Totally doable, right?  Yeah it should be, but here’s the catch.  I don’t cook.  Unless my husband is away on business travel (which he is right now), I don’t cook.  Either he cooks or we eat out/dine in.   It’s been that way for years.  It wasn’t always like this, I used to cook.  In fact, a couple of the early years of our marriage I did most of the cooking.  Not sure when I stopped, but it has been years.  My husband won’t be home until a week from Friday, so I need to step up and cook me some food.

Tonight’s dinner was a big fail.  I should stick with breakfast.  I can scramble the heck out of some eggs.  In fact, last night’s dinner was scrambled eggs with mushrooms and bacon.  Let’s all say it together, ‘mmm bacon’.  Aaahh.  Tonight, I prepared a chicken with broccoli and rice meal.  The rice turned out and the broccoli was perfect, but the poor chicken was dry as a bone.  I put the leftovers in the fridge, but I’m not sure that I will eat them.  Reheated already-dry chicken doesn’t sound appealing to me.  One of the problems may have been that I used chicken fillets rather than whole chicken breasts, so they cooked faster than I expected and longer cook time because I was slow putting all the ingredients together.  From now on, I will use the meat thermometer and pull the meat on time.  Even though I won’t win any Michelin stars for tonight’s meal, it was edible (barely) and still counts towards my goal. It was better for me than fried food.

This morning I was out of the house early for the 30 mile commute to work.  It was nice to find closer parking.  Yes, I need exercise, but in my current state I need to work up to it.  My legs felt a little bit better today, but my back was still hollering for a break half way there.  I am working from home tomorrow and Monday, so I will not be back in the office for five days.  Unless I want to start from scratch, I need to work some walking in this weekend.  If you have read any of my previous posts, you might remember that I have issues with being out in public.  I may try to hit the park this weekend for some short walks.  If I go early enough, maybe I will avoid too many people and be done before it gets too warm.

Thanks for taking time to stop by.  I appreciate all the support and know how important it can be (giving and receiving) along this journey. 

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry I didn't see your post from a couple days ago - glad you are alive! Baby steps my dear. I know it seems overwhelming - I wish I could be your walking buddy! (I can't remember if I know where you live or not?!)

    Do any of the grocery stores have salad bars by you? That would be easy - lots of veggies, add in some protein they have there - I usually load up on our salad bar and it costs me between 5-6 dollars - then you don't have to stand up cooking.

    Also - rotisserie chickens are a good idea - they are already cooked. You could pick off the meat and that that to a low carb tortilla and veggies, top with salsa. You can throw the bones in a pot of water to make chicken noodle soup.

    I am going to put my thinking cap on for you on quick meal ideas that would be easy and won't send you running to fast food.

    HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up on the cooking... the more you do it, the better you'll get at it! It's easy to dry out chicken. Personally, I like the thighs. They have more flavor and more juice! If you can get out and walk, just a little, you will be honoring yourself... You deserve to get healthier! Try not to be self conscious (easier said than done, I know), instead, hold your head high and be proud of the fact that you are making an effort. Just like cooking, the more you do it, the easier it will get. Is there some happy music you can listen to while walking? For me, a little physical exercise improves my mood, and I am more likely to make reasonable food choices. I am rooting for you... cook, walk, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's good to know that you have discovered a meat thermometer. You should practice more often your cooking skills and I know in time you will learn. Keep up the good job!

    http://thermee.org

    ReplyDelete