Pages

Monday, July 18, 2016

Same old story

Not much has changed since my last post in January.  I still have a lot of knee pain, haven’t lost weight and don’t have a plan in place.

It has been over six months since I last slept in my bed.  Instead, I do my best to sleep in the LA-Z-Boy recliner.  Right after last Christmas, my arthritis (under the knee cap) started acting up plus I did something and ended up with Tendonitis.  It hurts like heck to extend my leg or lift my knee.  The best thing I could do for my knee right now is lose weight.  I likely will need  a knee replacement in the future, but the doctor told me it wouldn’t happen unless I lost a significant amount of weight.  Since I am not seeing any improvement and have become even more sedentary, I will probably head back to the doctor to see if there is anything we can do in the mean time.  I might be out of my mind on this one, but I swear since sleeping in the recliner and not the bed the last six months, my hips have spread.  I don’t like it. This is just another addition to the list of many reasons I should lose weight.

Yesterday I weighed in at 388 pounds.  While I am down from my high at the beginning of the year, it is not significant or due to any real effort.  I don’t mean to say that I am not trying to lose weight.  I think it about it all day every day but fail to make the right choices consistently.  I constantly choose what will make me happy in the moment and disregard the effects on the long run.  That statement basically describes the problem in a nutshell.  Because of this, my weight fluctuates a lot but seems to hover in the high 380’s.  

My husband and I still eat out or carry in a lot.  Even when we do cook (or I should say he cooks), our portions are too big and include too many starches.  Then there is the sugar.  My gosh, I eat sweets like I don’t have diabetes.  Okay, that is all I am going to say about my bad eating habits right now.  I know what I am doing, why I am doing it and I don’t really need to keep bashing myself up about it here.

What I do need to do is make changes.  I haven’t got a formal plan yet and maybe won’t for some time.  Improvements can still happen without a formal plan.  This week my focus is mainly going to be around portion sizes and reducing the volume of food I eat this week.  I will also try to eat at least one fruit this week as well as more vegetables.  I like fruits and vegetables but I like starches, sweets and fried foods more.  Healthy eating habits will not happen overnight and I can’t force myself to give up all the bad habits at once.  I’ve tried that many times and it just doesn’t work for me. What I can do is make a start.  It may be a slow roll but I will eat better this week than I did last week, even if it is only one day.  I will also move more.  I have to.  I hurt everywhere and am becoming so stiff that I fear I could turn into the tin man and become stuck in one position.  Whether it is getting up at home or work more often and just walking around my environment or doing small tasks or chores, I will do it.  

Other than all that, I am fine.  I have a wonderful husband, fantastic sister and the most adorable recently turned seven year old nephew.  Home is good, work is good and now I need to focus on my health.

Thanks for stopping by,

Tammy

17 comments:

  1. It is so, so hard to get started - and even harder still to stay on track. I have started a hundred times in my life, likely even more. It's cliché, but being aware of a situation and wanting to change it really is the first step - so you're on the right track already! I have been losing again slowly but surely, focusing on one small thing at a time. Not overdoing diet or exercise all at once, just focusing on one task at a time. Pick small, manageable goals - like drinking only water, or being active 3x a week. Then increase as they become easier.

    Something that helps me a lot with keeping on-plan with eating is making sure that I prep cook as much as possible. When I am tired after work, I rarely want to also cook a meal ... so on Saturday afternoons, after I grocery shop, I prep as much as I can. I got portioned lunchboxes on Amazon, these are great.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01535KBSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Every little step in the right direction is progress - I know you can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mary. Small steps become easier and get you there eventually! You deserve to be the woman you want to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad. I spoke the truth. Obv you can't handle it. That's okay; I'll still read your next "I haven't done anything" post in December. Happy living!

      Delete
    2. Dawn, I am shocked that you would have written anything hurtful to Tammy. It took guts to come back on post something on her blog, and as one of her regular readers, no matter if that's three posts a year, I am glad that she is alive and well. Shame on you.

      Delete
  4. I could have written this post. Well, except for the not having a plan part. As a diabetic who is gluten intolerant, the plan is written for me (Low carb, no gluten, big on veggies and protein, low on sweets).

    The problem, of course, is that I don't stick to the plan. Like you, I much prefer starches and sweets to protein and veggies. Sighh. Which is why I'm fat.

    Yeah. I could have written this post.

    I'm going to start praying that I begin to like veggies even more than I like sweets. Yes, Iam. Beginning tonight. I'll include you. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you thought of weight-loss surgery? I had the gastric sleeve 2 months ago and it wasn't bad at all. Nothing to be scared about. I lost 20 pounds before surgery and 23 since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take one day at a time. Just today, do one thing that is good for you. Repeat. The changes add up...but commit to one day at a time. Today is the only day you can influence, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tammy

    Take the positive " Other than all that, I am fine. I have a wonderful husband, fantastic sister and the most adorable recently turned seven year old nephew. Home is good, work is good and now I need to focus on my health."

    How about doing this one small step at a time.

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy,
    Please let us know how you are doing. So many of us are struggling and fighting the same battle. I am trying to make my health a priority and do positive things each day ...small things add up and I find the more I do the more inclined I am to keep making better choices. I like reading blogs like yours to not feel so alone, so please let us know what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's it going? Here's to making the changes that you need. I met a lot of people at Low Carb USA who made those changes. Onward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy - with my new job my blog reading is taking a back seat, but happy to see that you have a new post. I am sad that someone (Dawn) left you a nasty comment - don't listen to haters. I am here anyway you need me to be!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammy thank you for sharing. I can relate and do hope you continue to update us. You matter and your story matters. Hugs :) ps. I just followed you on twitter. I am:
    Jen Is MorbidlyObese
    @MorbidlyObeseJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across your blog but realized you haven't wrote since July. I hope all is well, we all have faith in you that you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are you doing? Hoping things are going better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!! I haven't stopped by in ages, and I am sorry for that. For some reason on my walk today you popped into my head so I am checking in - let me know how you are doing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You matter! Your health matters! Baby steps. Once you get the ball rolling you will feel better and the baby steps will get easier. For me I have cut out sugar and carbs. It helps with my weight and mental state.

    ReplyDelete